Powered by Blogger.
Over Troubled Water

Strengthening the relationships between all African ancestored descendants

Friday, December 21, 2012

{EAV:a34791955646ae2c}

In last year's post, "The Pain of Not Knowing Who You Are,"  I discussed what it felt like as an African American to have had the memory of the people that we descend from taken from us:

"A feeling that I had subconsciously repressed came rushing forward uncontrollably.  A pain so severe and very deep had me so astonished that I could not articulate it.  I knew that it had been with me for as long as I could remember, but somehow I had not experienced it so."

That pain was eased by the results of the DNA analysis that I had done.  Of course it does not provide the names or faces of the forebears whom I long to become acquainted with, but there is further testing that I can do through African Ancestry where I will learn more.

I am grateful to Stephanie Wilson for the features on her BlogTalkRadio Show earlier this year:

Listen to internet radio with Stephanie Wilson on Blog Talk Radio

Listen to internet radio with Stephanie Wilson on Blog Talk Radio

In the meantime, I have had some great experiences getting to know what my ancestors may have been like through researching their children.  I have been able to discern that in some cases my divine mission in life and philosophies line up and are directly parallel to great aunts and uncles.  I have vowed not to overlook them just because they are collateral lines.

This commitment on my part has forged a bond between me and people a few generations before me whom I never met, but feel guided by.  My great uncle, Rev. Clarence Chick, taught the children in the family three simple things:  "Read your Bible. Study your Negro history.  Save your money."

These are three simple pieces of advice given to babes on their level that I have discovered came from someone who was a college professor of economics and American history. See "Vital speeches of the day."  His speeches have been published in scholarly publications.

When I began this journey, I did not start it simply for my own benefit.  I wanted to learn the principles that helped our ancestors over troubled water so that I could share them with you.  The principles that Uncle Clarence taught were the same for which I have been seeking.  What amazes me so is that he loved Africa as well and often spoke on what we could do to help Africa.

I am today another one of his students even though he has long passed away.  I feel his presence.  He has guided me to his writings.  I want my African brothers and sisters to know that this past year has been tough.  Please forgive my absence.  I have not forsaken you.  I will review my uncle's counsel to Africans of the Diaspora, and I will continue to fulfill my responsibility with the power in me to help in the work of bridge building.

My contributions will be in the form of sharing information here and networking.  I welcome your stories and any history of our homeland that you can share.  We cannot be made whole without you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the content flowing!

Welcome!

With the blessings of technology, all African ancestored descendants can develop an online haven where healing can take place. Let's recite and relish in our history. Let's come together to identify the principles that help us to enjoy freedom and happiness. Hopefully, "Over Troubled Water" will be the beginning of that for you. We welcome contributors who will share their history and perspectives that we may all learn and benefit.
Keep the content flowing!

Our Motto:

"I believe that all men, black and brown and white, are brothers, varying in time and opportunity, in form and gift and feature, but differing in no essential particular, and alike in soul and the possibility of infinite development." --W.E.B. Dubois
Creative Commons License
Over Troubled Water by Robin R. Foster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at overtroubledwater.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://overtroubledwater.blogspot.com/.

Disclaimer

The village is coming together! We are from many diverse groups from around the world. We invite you to use Over Trouble Water as an avenue that will spark much needed dialog. This dialog can lead to great enlightenment and healing. Every effort will be made to supplement using historical resources for further study, however, opinions or views expressed in articles reflect the contributor's life experiences and are the responsibility of the respective contributor. Comments should be addressed to the respective contributor.

Follow on Facebook

Bernice Bennett's Show:

Listen to internet radio with BerniceBennett on Blog Talk Radio

All My Social Sites

Like Us on Facebook

Over Troubled Water Daily

Followers