Powered by Blogger.
Over Troubled Water

Strengthening the relationships between all African ancestored descendants

Tuesday, June 7, 2011


Our History Before Slavery
By Robin Foster

Welcome! I am inviting you on this journey with me to discover who we were before slavery.  I will continue to research the plight of my ancestors during the period of slavery in the America's, however, I know that the best part of who they were existed before they were kidnapped and crossed the Middle Passage.

My focus has been to search out the principles that made them successful so that I can evaluate my own life and provide an example to my posterity.  The African students and friends whom I have known through the years have been good examples to me of hard work, respect, and community.   

I have identified these same qualities in my parents and grandparents and other family members.  Unfortunately, I can only trace my forebears so far at present.  I have found solace in identifying as many as I have been able to document, but I think it is very dangerous to let slavery alienate me from where I came from before slavery.   If I do not overcome the intentions others had to erase who I was, they will be the victors and I will cease to learn more.

I am referring to more than paying someone to examine my DNA and provide a certificate from which tribe I descend. When I look at my round nose, my coarse hair, and the great desire I have to work past the amnesia which erased our sense of who we were and where we came from for myself and my posterity,  my desire is to connect with other African ancestored peoples, share stories and compare notes, then move forward.  

Submitted by Antoinette Harrell.  Trip to Niger.
Thinking I would begin with searching for others who have bridged this gap, I started this site.  Up to this point, it has been my great fortune to collaborate with genealogist, peonage researcher, radio and television Host of Nurturing Our Roots, Antoinette Harrell.  I am fortunate to also be associated with our colleague, Nethanel Nasi.  The sacrifices that they have rendered have paved the way and each of us will be able to add a section to the bridge.  Brother Nasi sacrifices to help the people of Ghana and has recently organized resources and people locally to help people in the Mississippi Delta have the things they need after devasting tornadoes in the region.  I know in my heart that these key individuals would help in this endeavor as well.  I was not prepared, however, to come to the understanding that Brother Nasi as well as Antoinette hold the key to recapturing vital hidden history.  I am happy to be able to share their insights about their experiences on our native land with you.  I also invite others to contribute their stories with us here so that we may all benefit.

Son, Aubrey Younger (Left) (aka) Prince Obiri and Nethanel Nasi  (Right).  
In our second or third conversation, he explained the connection between W. E. B Dubois and Ghana.  There is a museum there, and W. E. B. Dubois is buried there.  I have read and studied the life of  Dubois, but I marvel that so much history is still left for me to discover.  I am also intrigued by the fact that Dubois' personal library was left in Ghana.  

Come back often as we make sacred connections, explore our history before American slavery, and share the stories and experiences of people of African decent from every continent.  


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the content flowing!

Welcome!

With the blessings of technology, all African ancestored descendants can develop an online haven where healing can take place. Let's recite and relish in our history. Let's come together to identify the principles that help us to enjoy freedom and happiness. Hopefully, "Over Troubled Water" will be the beginning of that for you. We welcome contributors who will share their history and perspectives that we may all learn and benefit.
Keep the content flowing!

Our Motto:

"I believe that all men, black and brown and white, are brothers, varying in time and opportunity, in form and gift and feature, but differing in no essential particular, and alike in soul and the possibility of infinite development." --W.E.B. Dubois
Creative Commons License
Over Troubled Water by Robin R. Foster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at overtroubledwater.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://overtroubledwater.blogspot.com/.

Disclaimer

The village is coming together! We are from many diverse groups from around the world. We invite you to use Over Trouble Water as an avenue that will spark much needed dialog. This dialog can lead to great enlightenment and healing. Every effort will be made to supplement using historical resources for further study, however, opinions or views expressed in articles reflect the contributor's life experiences and are the responsibility of the respective contributor. Comments should be addressed to the respective contributor.

Follow on Facebook

Bernice Bennett's Show:

Listen to internet radio with BerniceBennett on Blog Talk Radio

All My Social Sites

Like Us on Facebook

Over Troubled Water Daily

Followers