Powered by Blogger.
Over Troubled Water

Strengthening the relationships between all African ancestored descendants

Tuesday, July 5, 2011



In order for you to sing the Blues, you must learn what the Blues is all about, and to do it right, you must live the Blues. At one point, I did not want anything to do with the Blues because I was ashamed of it. Blues did not want anything to do with me because I was not ready for it. My whole life was grooming me to sing the blues and I had to learn that. Now I can standup proudly and sing the Blues from my soul because I earned it.


As children, we would sing in the cotton field to make the day go by. The work was very hard, and singing was a way to keep our mind off how hard it ready was. During the wintertime when it was so cool, we would just sit around the strove or fireplace and sing. There was a lot of singing around me. Anytime I would feel sad about something, I would go and be by myself and sing until I felt better. This is something I picked from my grandmother. When she was down, she would do a lot of mourning. One place she would always go was in her back yard by the peach tree and mourn and cry.

I have had lots of heartaches in my life, and most of them came from men. Every song on "Butter on My Roll" tells a story of something going right or wrong in my life just like the songs I sang when I was a kid. When I put things to music, it keeps me away from drinking, drugs and the doctor.

Dance Jump,” is what I called a happy Blues; lots of people think that all Blues are sad. This song reminds me of being worked all week and just want to blow off some steam. “Real Good Woman” is the song of my heart. It is what I have been looking for all my life, a real good man. Every man I have had has played me for a fool, cheated on me, or beat the hell out of me. 

This does not include my last husband. He showed me kindness, gentleness, and true love. He really helped me to heal. In “Big Man,” I am sing about a man that has a big heart and knows how to love. Some people might think that is old fashioned.

If you have ever been in love, “Can’t Help Loving My Man” is it. The man I was in love with help me to write this song. I was a fool in love, then I found out that I was not the only one in love with him. He had me and three others that were in love with him and the kids to go along with it. I left with my heart ripped out and eye about near hanging out because I spoke up.

Oh So Good,” is another one of those happy blues songs about how the way my man made me feel at the moment. “Pouring Rain” is a song that someone wrote for me, and I was feeling like standing alone in the rain crying at the time. “Blues of My Soul” is all about my mom getting us out of that hell hole, Mississippi. It is kind of hard for me to believe that we lived like that.

Someone wrote “Butter on My Roll,” for me, and I just love the feeling of that song. “Tell Me Why,” is about me asking all the people in my life not only the men but everyone, “Why do you treat me so bad? What did I do to you for you to treat me so bad?” “Don’t Say Goodbye” is a song I wrote when I was around twenty-five years old. I was filled with fear and dependent on a man that was beating me and had me traveling down a bad road. I was saying goodbye to all my family and friends because he had taking me a long way from home. For eight years, my family did not know where I was.

I wrote “Hey Girlfriend” because I was mad at my man and the women he had. I was telling them that I was his biggest fool and wanted to keep it that way. He took everything from me. “Ms Good -n- Plenty” is a song I wrote for all the big ladies saying that we are very passionate and know how to please our man because we put a lot into it. In our heads we feel the same as anyone else. We are the same with just more of us to love, and if you don’t know how to love a big lady we will show you how. 

 “Good, Good Loving” really drives it home. This is why I love the blues you can really put your heart and soul into it. The Blues can be happy, sad, or full of passion. The Blues helps you express how you feel, but most of all, you must live it. The Blues picked me because it knew we would be good for each other.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the content flowing!

Welcome!

With the blessings of technology, all African ancestored descendants can develop an online haven where healing can take place. Let's recite and relish in our history. Let's come together to identify the principles that help us to enjoy freedom and happiness. Hopefully, "Over Troubled Water" will be the beginning of that for you. We welcome contributors who will share their history and perspectives that we may all learn and benefit.
Keep the content flowing!

Our Motto:

"I believe that all men, black and brown and white, are brothers, varying in time and opportunity, in form and gift and feature, but differing in no essential particular, and alike in soul and the possibility of infinite development." --W.E.B. Dubois
Creative Commons License
Over Troubled Water by Robin R. Foster is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at overtroubledwater.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://overtroubledwater.blogspot.com/.

Disclaimer

The village is coming together! We are from many diverse groups from around the world. We invite you to use Over Trouble Water as an avenue that will spark much needed dialog. This dialog can lead to great enlightenment and healing. Every effort will be made to supplement using historical resources for further study, however, opinions or views expressed in articles reflect the contributor's life experiences and are the responsibility of the respective contributor. Comments should be addressed to the respective contributor.

Follow on Facebook

Bernice Bennett's Show:

Listen to internet radio with BerniceBennett on Blog Talk Radio

All My Social Sites

Like Us on Facebook

Over Troubled Water Daily

Followers